Insomnia is keeping me awake despite weakness and so I thought hey! this monitor’s been lying around for quite sometime, lemme set it up.
I got this new Acer P166HQL before I fell sick and it’s been eating dust since then.
Unboxed it – No this is not an ‘Unboxing Video post’ 🙂
As soon as I finished setting it up, I realized that this was a mistake!
I had got sold into the wide spread name of ‘Acer’ brand and the contrast ratio of 1M:1
Not that acer is bad, but this monitor!!!
Glossy, Glossy all glossy.
Weak Plastic – I almost believed that it has no ’tilt’ mechanism because it sounded creaking when I tried.
I later googled it up and got some confidence that it may tilt and then tried again.
And when I tried to tilt, I could see the gap forming between the bottom edge and screen – I went Yikes!!!
So let’s weigh it’s pros and cons
1. Very Glossy – finger print magnet
2. 1M:1 Contrast Ratio isn’t so big a thing. Don’t get sold by it.. atleast it doesnt matter to me as I’d use this monitor on a server.
3. Cheap Plastics
4. Not great build quality
5. Model is not listed on India site / US Site Yikes again!!!
6. 10 minutes of inactivity and monitor will go to sleep. Good thing. BUT before it does that it will display “No Signal” message…. which I think should be Either “Going to Sleep…” or “Power Saving…”.
“No Signal” is kinda not what users want to see!
7. Control buttons and OSD menu are not to great to use.
8. Brightness 200cd/m2 (Good LED’s should have 250cd/m2 atleast)
1. Affordable – below $75 after bargain and having ‘connections’
2. Light Weight
3. The power button is on the right of the screen – size of a thumb… which looks futuristic and is cool.
4. 3 years on-site Warranty.
Would have liked:
1. HDMI port as the Monitor says HD! FTW!!! False HD 🙂
Please Note: BenQ G610HDAL was available at the same price. Has 250cd/m2 brighness, contrast ration 50,000:1, better build quality, Matte finish (no worry about fingerprint), comes in a brown box. Not sure if the box says HD – if you wanna buy false HD that is. 🙂
I’ve pretty much made an ass out of myself by getting sold to 1M:1, Acer brand vs BenQ AND the Box that this monitor came in was pretty beautiful.. Green with White. 😦
Don’t do the same thing to yourself 😀